Friday, January 4, 2008

Expressing Gratitude

For those of us lucky enough to have found teachers on our path, and who learned and continue to learn from these guiding lights, and who found new ways to think, to perceive and to cope with life thanks to their teachers' instructions - I talk with you now.

So many of our teachers give of their wisdom freely - no fees, no strings attached - just the pure joy of sharing knowledge, and learning right alongside their students. These teachers are a blessed bunch, and I for one treasure them and all they have helped me to learn and perceive about the world around me.

In the mundane world, people like this would expect - if not outright demand - payment for their services - there would be limits, restrictions, things you'd have to buy to go from one level to the next - people you must or must not associate with, depending on their whims.

We are so lucky that on Pagan paths, it isn't like this - not with true teacher spirits.

I speak of this now because I have the honor of participating in the initiation of one of my teacher's first class of students since she taught my class MANY moons ago - I am to stand with her, in circle, and help her students begin their journey along this amazing road...perhaps one day to become like myself, a teacher with students of their own, who teach for the joy of sharing and growing and learning together.

I am so excited to be making this trip to share in this experience - not only to meet her students and share stories of learning with them, but to tell her of my students and the many joys they have brought to my life. Had I not learned so well, I do not believe I could teach so well now. (At least, I believe I teach well - my students would be the best judge of that.)

To see the living history of our path handed down from one group to the next - what an amazing and wonderful feeling this is. Memories of cram sessions with my fellow classmates, late night calls to my teacher for help, support, and sometimes just to rail at the world with an audience. So many important times in my life have occured since I began this path almost 20 years ago. And I look forward to all the important times yet to come...

No comments: