Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The identity of "Me"


Having one of those days where the weather is dreary, work is tiresome and I find myself trying to fit into too many different categories – wife, mother, sister, minister, counselor, editor, friend, confidant, daughter, leader

I feel like each is a merely a piece of who I am, but without all those pieces, who am I really?

If I let go of the sister piece, will I still be me? Or does losing that piece mean I lose myself?

What if I let leader go – will I feel aimless?

This is one of those days when I want to let them all go, disappear into the darkness and emerge as a butterfly from the chrysalis – reborn anew, without worry, responsibility, fear – or pain.

And yet, it is the pain that makes us human, is it not? If we did not learn, we would not grow. If we did not grow we would become stagnant and die...and have to come back and do it all again.

I'm weary, in my heart. And the plaintive patter of the rain outside the door sounds like a dirge to me. What I wouldn't give for a ray of sunshine at my window right about now.

No comments: