Thursday, December 30, 2010

Antiquing in the Ozarks

One of the big past times here in the Ozarks is antiquing - going to flea markets, garage sales and antique shops to browse the wares and find odds and ends to take home and clutter another shelf. The hunt for "antiques" back home on Staten Island would usually entail a trip into the basement to battle the spider webs and dust bunnies to find something that Great Aunt Millie might have saved in a box. Not the most fun, if you ask me.
At least, that used to be how I felt about it, until my friend took me "antiquing" up through West Plains, Caulfield, Bakersfield, Gamaliel and Mountain Home the other day.

What an adventure!

I can't remember the last time I found myself literally squeeling with delight over a toy I recognized from my youth or a beautiful cameo that reminded me of my grandmother, who loved and collected cameos.

I had turned into a kid again, looking through antique farm tools, digging through old records and scouring every aisle with the hopes that I'd find that special something before my friend did. We had an absolute ball that day, roaming from shop to shop and down aisle after aisle.

Living in a 36 x 14 foot cabin, you can easily understand how we don't have a whole lot of room for knickknacks, so the look of dismay on the Marine's face when I came in with bag after bag of goodies was probably well warranted. But now I have fun little items I can gift to friends and family, along with one or two that are going to get a shelf, just so I can keep them.

What's one more shelf right? We have lots of wall space - I bet I have room for a whole bunch of shelves. I'd best start sweet talking the Marine now, so I have plenty of room for my next trip.

No comments: